FAQs & Links

How do I apply?

Download our application form, fill in and scan back to us. When we have received your application form we will contact you via email.


Do I need a visa to study at Servilles Academy?

Yes, all international students are required to have the appropriate student visa or permit to live and study in New Zealand.


How do I apply for a student visa?

Contact New Zealand Immigration or the nearest NZ Embassy or High Commission in your region.


Will I need medical Insurance?

Yes, it is a condition of your student visa that you purchase medical insurance for the duration of your study.


Can I work part-time while studying at Servilles Academy?

Yes! You can work up to 20 hours while on a student visa in accordance with New Zealand Immigration laws.


Do I need to complete the Year1 Studies before I can apply for the Year2 studies?

Yes, entry onto our National Certificate Year2 Studies is subject to the completion of our National Certificate Year1 Studie.



Servilles Academy of Hairdressing has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by NZQA. Copies of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the NZQA website at http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers-partners/education-code-of-practice/



Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/


Eligibility For Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.moh.govt.nz.


Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at http://www.acc.co.nz.


Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.


NZQA External Quality Assurance Report

5 August 2016: NZQA is Highly Confident in the educational performance of Servilles Academy of Hairdressing

5 August 2016: NZQA is Highly Confident in the capability in self-assessment of Servilles Academy of Hairdressing

Servilles Academy external quality assurance report: http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/providers/details.do?providerId=897439001


International Student Living Cost in Auckland

Living expenses vary for every student depending on lifestyle.

Rent: $150 to $300 a week

Groceries: $80 to $100 a week

Entertainment: $50 to $80 a week

Lunches and takeaway food: $60 a week

Gym membership: $225 to $305 a year


Auckland Accommodation

There is a range of high quality accommodation options for international students in Auckland. You can experience the Kiwi lifestyle first hand and be part of a local family with homestay accommodation, or you may prefer the independence of a student hostel. You could live with other students in your school’s on-site campus accommodation, or rent a house or apartment with friends. 

Your living costs will depend on your lifestyle and the type of accommodation you choose, so it’s important to look at all your options carefully before committing to any long-term contracts. It’s a good idea to book some temporary accommodation for your first few nights in Auckland, such as a backpackers or youth hostel. This will give you a temporary base while you find permanent accommodation.


Getting around Auckland

Walking, cycling, buses, trains, taxis and ferries make it easy and convenient to get around Auckland. Walking is very popular in New Zealand, and if you get accommodation close to your institution it will be easy to walk to classes. 

Cycling is also a great way to get around – it’s economical, environmentally friendly and helps you stay fit at the same time. Bicycles can be taken on ferries and trains, so you can combine cycling with other forms of public transport. 

Buses run to all parts of the region from the Britomart Transport Centre, located in downtown Auckland. The LINK bus connects the central business district to city fringe suburbs, and there are free environmentally-friendly City Circuit buses that follow a route around the inner city. Trains run regularly to central, south and west Auckland suburbs from the Britomart Transport Centre. Visit AT.co.nz for public transport timetables and information. 

Taking the ferry is a scenic, peaceful change from cars, buses and trains, and there are regular ferry services from the central city to Auckland’s North Shore and some of the beautiful Hauraki Gulf islands. Visit AT.co.nz for ferry timetables and information. 

New Zealand’s stunning natural scenery makes driving enjoyable, so it’s a great way to explore. If you have a valid overseas driver license or an international driving permit you can drive in New Zealand for up to a year from when you arrive. After that you will have to pass written and practical driving tests to get a New Zealand driver’s license. All cars must be registered and have a current Warrant of Fitness (WOF). If you are buying a car, make sure it has a WOF so you can be certain it is fit and safe to be on the road. It is also strongly recommended you get insurance for your car.