How To Become A Barber
For many, barbering is more than heading down to your local barbershop every few months for a spruce up; it’s a subculture, a way of life. Dating back several thousand years and serving 50% of the population, barbering is one of the world’s oldest and most established trades. Despite the profession’s long history, the same principles and purposes remain: socialisation, grooming, conversation and a sense of retreat.
Barbershops are cropping up on every street corner so the industry needs to keep up with this demand. Thinking about becoming a barber? Read on.
Are you cut out for it?
There’s more to barbering than being savvy with the clippers – it’s about having the personality and drive. Barbers need to be personable, professional and overall, provide an experience which encourages the client to return for more. You’ll also need to be open to growth and development, by keeping up with the latest trends and techniques.
What will I learn in the Barber Skills programme?
In our New Zealand Certificate in Barber Skills programme (an NZQA Level 3 qualification), you’ll learn all the essential barbering theory as well as how to create all the latest and classic styles using innovative learning techniques. Our barber course is taught by industry professionals, each bringing their own flair from different experiences and locations across the world.
Throughout the 34-week course, you’ll complete 16 unit standards, covering the following topics:
● Barbering theory
● Consultations (including hair and scalp care)
● Scissor cutting (long and short hair)
● Scissor and razor combination cuts (pompadour, Caesar etc.)
● Men’s styling and blow-drying
● Clipper cuts (fades, buzz cuts, designs etc.)
● Beard and moustache design
● Product knowledge
● Sales, customer service and safe operating
● Photoshoots, CV’s and portfolio creation
In addition to in-class learning, students get to sink their teeth into numerous activities and external events, such as competitions, performances, photoshoots and expos.
How do I apply to the barbering course?
- To apply for our Barber Skills programme, make sure you take a read of the course page, where you’ll find all the information from intake dates, to fees and course hours.
- If you’re ready to apply, head to the Apply Now page. If you’d like a talk and tour of the academy, book a tour below.
- After completing the application or tour booking form, we’ll be in touch!
Where can a barbering qualification take me?
Like many trades, barbering offers a range of career pathways within the industry. You may want to work in an already established barbershop, or set up your own. Perhaps you’re interested in sales, education or events… All of these routes are options after you’ve gained some more experience in the business.