Our Picks: Met Gala 2019
The much-awaited, most spectacular fashion event of the year is finally here. Formally titled the Costume Institute Gala, the Met Gala (also known as the Met Ball) is an annual fundraising event which marks the opening of the Costume Institute’s annual fashion exhibit, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Each year the event is given a various theme to compliment the exhibit, which the many high-profile celebrity guests are expected to dress to. This year’s exhibit is named ‘Camp: Notes on Fashion’.
Over the years we’ve seen some glamorous and insanely creative looks – and every year designers continue to push the boundaries of fashion to create some truly iconic costumes. Although the focus of this event is predominately the eccentric outfits, we’ve broken down some of our favourite hair and makeup looks from this year’s red carpet…
- From the front, model Ashley Graham sported a simple, slicked back hair-up – but at the back her long, bubble ponytail was decorated with beads and a large red bow. This look was created by hairstylist Justine Marjan. Along with a turquoise eye-makeup to compliment her bold pink and green Gucci blazer, Ashley slayed the carpet!
- Celine Dion hit the red carpet in a glitzy attire, topped with an impressive feathery head-piece, which we’re especially swooning over.
- Lady Gaga made quite an entrance to the event (did you expect anything less?!) by removing layers of her voluminous pink gown, to eventually reveal sparkling black lingerie. For her hairstyle, Gaga opted for her classic platinum blonde colour, styled in a wavy bob with bow-detailing.
- British pop-singer Charli XCX rocked a blunt bob with pink ends, which perfectly matched her bold, pink eye makeup.
- Paloma Elsesser stepped out in full denim attire, with statement purple and blue eyeshadow. As for her hair, she showcased a V-shaped part, topped with a tight bun.
- Hairstylist Ursula Stephen was the stylist behind Yara Shahidi’s red carpet ‘do, which consisted of a creative curly half-up, half-down look.
- Bohemian Rhapsody star Lucy Boynton took to the red carpet debuting pastel blue hair, which was styled with undone waves and topped with a floral headpiece.
Head to our Instagram story to see more looks we’re loving!
Interested in a career in hair or beauty? We’re enrolling now for our June intakes for NZ Certificate in Hairdressing – Salon Support (Level 3) and NZ Certificate in Makeup and Skincare (Level 3). Talk to our recruitment team on 0800 SERVILLES or book a talk and tour below.